A steep but very good hike up to one of Japan's 100 most famous mountains!
You will enjoy looking at beautiful and colorful scenery, and the breathtaking views of Chuzenji lake under the cloud while hiking this mountain.
We will gain 1,200m in elevation and the peak is about 2,500m. A perfect practice hike before challenging Mt. Fuji.
Finish the day relaxing in the onsen (if time permits)!
This is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HIKE to those who really love hiking!!!
Temple and shrines on the way
- Meet at Tobu-Asakusa station central gate at 6:05am
- Get on the 6:20am express train
- Catch up on your sleep, or chat with other members and get excited
- Arrive at Tobu-Nikko station at 8:25am
- Get on the 8:40am local bus
- Arrive at Chuzenji Onsen bus stop around 9:20am
- Short walk to Futarasan-jinja (start of the trail)
- Orientation/safety briefing/group photo/stretching
- Start the hike at 9:45am
- Reach the summit around 1:45pm
- Short picnic lunch while enjoying the breathtaking views
- Start the descend (on the same trail) around 2:15pm
- Arrive back down Futarasan-jinja around 4:15pm
- Short walk back to Chuzenji Onsen bus stop
- Quick onsen dip in one of the higaeri onsens in the area (if time permits)
- Get on the 5:22pm local bus
- Arrive back at Tobu-Nikko station around 6pm
- Get on the 6:30pm train
- Arrive back at Tobu-Asakusa station around 9:10pm
The steep trail to the summit
- Itinerary may vary due to the weather, traffic conditions, and other unavoidable circumstances.
- You MUST have your own insurance (health, social, company, etc.) to be able join.
- This event is ON rain or shine! In case of bad weather and we're unable to finish the hike due to safety reasons, we will do some sightseeing around Chuzenji Onsen area (visit Kegon watefalls, etc.) and spend more time in the onsen.
- Nikko is particularly crowded on weekends so expect an unavoidable road traffic in the area.
- Mt. Nantai is a conical shaped volcano and is about 2,484m high.
- Hike is intermediate level but steep (about 1,200m elevation gain).
- Walk distance to cover is around 8k to finish in under 6 hours.
- Hiking poles are very recommended.
- Hiking experience necessary.
- Reasonable fitness required.
- Final details will be sent to the participants by email two days before the event.