A steep but very good hike up to one of Japan's 100 most famous mountains!
Enjoy looking at beautiful and green mountain scenery, and the breathtaking views of Chuzenji lake under the clouds while hiking this mountain.
Finish the day relaxing in the onsen (if time permits)!
This is a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HIKE to those who really love hiking!!!
Temple and shrines on the way
- Meet at Tobu-Asakusa station central gate at 6:05am
- Get on the 6:20am express train
- Catch up on your sleep, or chat with other members and get excited
- Arrive at Tobu-Nikko station at 8:25am
- Get on the 8:40am local bus
- Arrive at Chuzenji Onsen bus stop around 9:20am
- Short walk to Futarasan-jinja (start of the trail)
- Orientation/safety briefing/group photo/stretching
- Start the hike at 9:45am
- Reach the summit around 1:45pm
- Short picnic lunch while enjoying the breathtaking views
- Start the descend (on the same trail) around 2:15pm
- Arrive back down Futarasan-jinja around 4:15pm
- Short walk back to Chuzenji Onsen bus stop
- Quick onsen dip in one of the higaeri onsens in the area (if time permits)
- Get on the 5:22pm local bus
- Arrive back at Tobu-Nikko station around 6pm
- Get on the 6:30pm train
- Arrive back at Tobu-Asakusa station around 9:10pm
The steep trail to the summit
- Itinerary may vary due to the weather, traffic conditions, and other unavoidable circumstances.
- You MUST have your own insurance (health, social, company, etc.) to be able join.
- This event is ON rain or shine! In case of bad weather and we're unable to finish the hike due to safety reasons, we will do some sightseeing around Chuzenji Onsen area (visit Kegon watefalls, etc.) and spend more time in the onsen.
- Nikko is particularly crowded on weekends so expect an unavoidable road traffic in the area.
- Mt. Nantai is a conical shaped volcano and is about 2,484m high.
- We'll start from Chuzenji lake at elevation of around 1,200m so total of around 1,300m of climbing up.
- Hike trail is steep but fun so more than reasonable fitness required.
- Hiking experience necessary.
- Walk distance to cover is around 8k to finish in under 6 hours.
- Hiking poles are highly recommended.
- Final details will be sent to the participants by email two days before the event.